I was not looking forward to the descent. My goal up until this point was to avoid looking down at all costs. This does however pose some logistical problems when your new goal is to actually get back down the mountain. I did, for a brief moment, consider calling search and rescue to come helicopter me off the top but then the story would be posted on KSL.com where I would be forced to comment on the idiot hiker that wasted tax payer money by having to be rescued. What can I say, I'm a patriot. Of course, in the current climate perhaps spending taxpayer money was the way to go and I missed my chance to truly show my loyalty. Perhaps I could have arranged some sort of photo op with the helicopter flanked by some Hill Air Force Base Jets, you know, in the interest of wasting your hard earned dollars. Alas, the narcissist in me won and we descended on foot. On butt, if you're being technical.

We had a great time with only one major injury. Thankfully, the creator saw fit to leave some sharp fins of shale at the the bottom of a little snow chute that stopped Ammon on an unplanned slide, nearly over the edge. I'm sure the shale was far more reliable than the ice ax belay I set up in the 2 seconds I had as he slid by yelling at me to get ready. He has a nasty bruise and cut but he's still here to show it to people which seems like a pretty fair swap.
All in all, we live in a pretty, great, state. Maybe that could a cheesy motto or something.
1 comment:
I appreciate the butt-sliding approach and the views, spectacular.
Post a Comment