It's time for the first HFAV Challenge of 2008. Hooray! What is an HFAV Challenge you ask? Well, unlike HFAV events like SLVRR or White Rim, which are group activities that promote a spirit of camraderie and brotherly love, an HFAV Challenge is an individual activity to be carried out on your own, at your own pace. In the future, people who complete Challenges may be awarded fabulous prizes like trips to Hawaii or something but for now you'll just have to be satisfied with an e-pat on the back.
For our first challenge, we wanted to start with something that would really stretch ourselves that would force us to test the principle of "no pain, no gain". The commish and I have come up with something we are calling:
The Newbery Challenge!!!
This challenge was spawned by a recent trip to the library. Did you know that the Newbery Medal has been awarded annually since 1922? According to Wikipedia, the source of all truth on the Internet, the award is given by the American Library Association to the author of the Outstanding American book for children. See here for more on the Newbery Medal including a list of all winners of the award. That means there are 87 Newbery Medal winners! So here is the challenge--to read every Newbery Medal winning book published since 1922.
For some of you, this will take a few weeks. For others like me, it may take considerably longer. So rather than organize which book we read, I think we should all read whichever book we choose. When you finish a book, post a little blurb to the blog to let us know where you are. For example, you might say something like "I just finished book 67, 'Onion John', and was impressed with Krumgold's character development. The protagonist was certainly 'multilayered!' Ha, Ha!"
This challenge is open to everyone who wants to participate. Read however many you want. Whoever finishes all the books first gets an extra e-pat !
2 comments:
Okay. I got my first two Newberry book today "The Dark Frigate" and
"The Trumpeter of Krakow." I can already tell this is going to be more challenging than initially thought. I didn't know what a Frigate was and I was hoping Krakow was a comic book term like Shazam but it appears to be a geographical location.
Steph
I too have undertaken this challenge. I found a few of the books online free as an ebook. I ordered a few more on half.com for like 75 cents each. So, if anyone needs up to 1933, I have them, or will soon.
Post a Comment