The first annual Salt Lake Valley Rim Ride was held yesterday, September 20 and, in all modesty, it was a tremendous success. See more pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/hickenfam

We had eight riders who started out at 6AM in the dark. The final group rolled across the finish line at Hicken Central at around 4PM. Some of us were a little more saddle sore and weary than others. I won't mention names, but one spritely member of our crew did several energetic laps around the neighborhood, causing the other finishers to shake our heads in amazement. Along the way we battled gale force head and crosswinds, scary traffic, Jesus rays and disturbing renditions of popular Saturday's Warrior tunes, two flat tires, a couple of unintended off road adventures that led to the flat tires, lightning, and a refreshing gullywasher. Other than that, conditions could not have been more perfect! In all seriousness, the weather was marvelous for the most part.

Now a few big thank yous need to be offered to some people who helped make this event a success. First, let's thank Dee and Judy (aka "dad and mom") for hosting the carb loading dinner and for being the staging ground for the ride. Mom even made homemade peach pies for the dinner. As we were cleaning up from dinner, my mom asked me in a casual, non-threatening way why I hadn't planned this dinner at my house. I paused to think and realized I hadn't even considered hosting it for our house. In fact, that was the first time it had even occurred to me that we could have hosted the dinner anywhere else! Rather than view this oversight as evidence that I am a completely insensitive boar, I think this is further evidence that Hicken Central as a place where we just feel at home, where everyone feels welcome, a place where we can relax and enjoy ourselves. Hmm, I feel a song coming on...http://www.box.net/shared/iouj90zcsc
Another HUGE thanks to our SAG wagoneers, Aaron, Nick, and later joined by Melynda. At every stop we'd pull in and they would have set out a spread of fruit, candy, water, cookies. The lunch spread was a work of art. They gave up an entire Saturday to support our ride and made it so much more fun. Melynda even rode 37 miles before joining the SAG crew. We owe all of them a big round of applause.

Of course, a big congratulations goes out to all our riders who joined us. A day on a bike is always a pleasure but it's made even more pleasant with good company. I think everyone had fun and nobody died, which was a relief to me as event organizer. No major injuries--just sore tushies and legs and Neil's sore toe that taught us all a lesson about the importance of proper podiatric care.
One more big thanks to all our families who put up with our taking a whole day to play while they kept the home fires burning, or kept the home from burning, in my family's case. If you know Andrew, my youngest, no further explanation is needed!



Though no official feedback was solicited, the general feeling from everyone seemed to be consistent with my own thoughts. We definitely will do this next year! So circle around the same time for next year and join us for:
Stay tuned for upcoming HFAV events. We are considering a showshoe trip in Bryce or Cedar Breaks in the winter and of course we have White Rim coming again in April. Book now as seating is limited!

2 comments:
Holy cow! I just looked at the map, and I had no idea how far away you biked. wow! Good job guys.
Way to go everyone!! I am very impressed.
Post a Comment