Sunday, September 7, 2008

Redman Camp


Over Labor Day weekend, we went camping with our friends across the street at a campsite up Big Cottonwood Canyon called Redman. This is the site of the "Tube Tent Nightmare" that happened when I was just a little 11 year old scrub.

Anyway, our neighbors are big campers. They just took their 7 and 5 year old kids on a 4 day backpacking trip-made the kids carry their own packs! We, in contrast, are entrenched car campers. I mean to say, I am an entrenched car camper. For Jody, on the other hand, camping is akin to a) a hostage situation, b) a violation of the Geneva Convention, c) having a root canal, or d) This:

Our friends unpacked all sorts of fancy gear and stuff. I, on the other hand, had forgotten half our gear so had to borrow all sorts of stuff from them. We did let them use one of our tomatoes, however, so it's all fair.

The camp turned out fine, even for Jody. Nobody was burned, impaled with a tent stake, bitten by a rodent, or made sick by our cooking. Tent sleeping was an adventure with 5 kids. Andrew was up half the night and I ended up sleeping with him in my arms until Anna woke up to go potty (guess who got to take her). Then Addison woke up with a sore finger (had a wart removed earlier in the week). Addison still felt bad the next day so we skipped the hike and headed home early. Addison turned out to be fine, but Andrew threw up all over on the way home so things worked out in the end.

We were glad we missed the stormy weather that came in on Sunday and Monday. The campers who stayed through the weekend must have had a miserable time!



No comments: